The Considerate Constructors Scheme is a national initiative, set up by the UK construction industry, to improve its image. Sites that register with the Scheme sign up and are monitored against a Code of Considerate Practice, designed to encourage best practice beyond statutory requirements. The Scheme concerns itself with any area of construction activity that may have a direct or indirect impact on the image of the UK construction industry as a whole. Hazlemere Commercial are also EXOR accredited. The main areas of concern under Contractor Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) fall into three main categories: the environment, the workforce and the general public.
Over the years, local authority health and safety and procurement professionals, with the support of the Health and Safety Executive, have developed the CHAS. The scheme is available for use by any public and private sector organisations to use when short listing contractors, suppliers and consultants (i.e. consulting companies) who apply to work for them. It provides information about the health and safety part of their application.
Hazlemere Commercial have been a CHAS and EXOR accredited contractor over two decades, as take their Health & Safety responsibilities extremely seriously, as participating in the CHAS scheme helps both suppliers and buyers. Here are some of the benefits:-
- Suppliers show compliance with important parts of health and safety law (the core criteria described in the CDM regulations)
- On achieving compliance a supplier is approved to work for all of CHAS’ buyers.(Some Buyers may require “Accredited” Status)
- Inconsistencies are reduced where some suppliers may be judged compliant by one buyer but not another
- CHAS gives guidance on any weaknesses in a supplier’s safety management, including how they can improve
- Being a CHAS supplier or buyer saves both time and resources